Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Kid's Clothes Week: April 2015 - Day 3

KCW - day 3! It seems tunic tops are my current favorites. They do take less yardage than a dress and are quicker to sew (without the skirt-gathering part) :). You can pair them up with pants or shorts! If you've read my previous posts you'd know that I am all for quick and easy projects.



I had a 1/2 yard of Riley Blake medium chevron print in rainbow color, which I had been saving for a year!! The colors are so vibrant; I wish I could wear this!

I decided to use the same pattern. But I realized that the chevrons were vertical (but I wanted them horizontal on the bodice), which meant that I didn't have enough fabric for full-sleeves. So I drafted flutter sleeves instead! It turned out to be a great decision as you can see from the pictures!

Also I wanted to add more structure to this tunic (from my earlier experience I've learnt that unlined flutter sleeves don't look good after a wash). So this project took a bit longer. But the end result was well worth it!





I had used snap fasteners (for the first time) for the previous tunic top. It was super easy and I was pretty impressed that I'd finally found an alternative to the hook-eye method that I always use!!

Alas! my happiness was to be short-lived. I tried to use the snaps again for this tunic. While one pair bound well to the fabric, the pair on the other side resulted in bent teeth and hence became unusable. I tried couple more pairs from the pack only to face the same problem. Then I had to remove the pair that had worked on one side (you can still see the marks in the picture below)! I guess these snaps are not good for lined fabric?!

I finally settled for an elastic closure with a cute button. It is not my most favorite method, but that'll have to do for now. I will go back to my trustworthy hook-eye approach.

Yellow flower button!!


I really enjoyed sewing with this fabric, especially trying to match the zig-zags on the back was a lot of fun :).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Hearty Hydrangeas blog! I welcome your feedback.