Friday, March 7, 2014

Appliques - His and Hers

Adding appliques is one of the earliest projects I worked on even before I got my Brother.

Indeed appliques are so wonderful! They instantly add a lot of pizzazz to a plain piece of garment! And they are so easy and quick to do! Even a child can do it.

I used Heat'n Bond Lite Iron-On Adhesive sheets for these projects. 

Here are some fun things I've created:


 

This animal tie was created for our Animal Encyclopedia a.k.a Heart! I gifted this on his 6th Birthday.

The t-shirt was purchased from Walmart. I am still trying to think where I got this beautiful animal print from... hobby lobby, perhaps? If you recognize this fabric, do leave me a comment.


More animals on the back...

At his birthday party

Fast forward 2014 - Heart still continues to wear this t-shirt! I just top stitched along the edges to prevent the appliques from peeling off in laundry. It also helps to wash your appliqued-clothes inside out.
More recently I created a set of Fall appliques for Heart and his 4th grade friend. They were part of a play in which they represented that season. Heart wanted something related to animals, so I made this silverish-gray squirrel and acorn.
The fabric for this was a poly-satin from Hancock's. I love how it feels so smooth, shiny and 3D-like!! For his friend, I cut out Fall leaves from poly-satin fabric (golden yellow, dark green and burgundy). Both t-shirts were purchased from Target.

Here are some  photos clicked on stage.








Last year I made a tutu set for Sweet's first birthday. I bought a crown headband from Etsy to complete the outfit. We took some professional photos and I was thrilled to be able to make my sweetie's day (also my 'Birthing' day) special :).

I got the t-shirt from Hobby Lobby. The applique's fabric was from Hancock's - the silver crown and the butterfly's wings were made from a costume fabric. The number 1 and butterfly's body were made with a purple polka-dot cotton print.




For her second birthday this year, I was able to make her an appliqued-tshirt (the night before her birthday) :)).  Her current favorite is Elmo. So I made this applique with poly-satin in red and orange. I used a solid cotton fabric for eyes (black and white). 




Though Sweet was excited to see Elmo, she didn't want to wear the t-shirt.. HAHA. Heart on the other hand, was such a sweetheart and gave me a BIG HUG upon seeing the surprise for his sister! :) He truly has a big heart! 


Oh and I almost forgot about last year's Halloween costume (appliqued t-shirt, layered tulle skirt and matching felt/tulle hair bow). 




Introducing my Owl Princess a.k.a Sweet!



I had a lot of fun creating this owl face with black eye lashes and a satin nose and crown (from a ribbon!). All fabric were bought from Hancock's. The tulle skirt is a simple elastic waist skirt with three tiers of tulle (magenta, orange and yellow) lined with a broad cloth (pale yellow - same color as the owl's face). The hair bow was made with magenta tulle and orange felt flower.


If the above ideas inspire you to make your own appliques, I'd love to see them! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Hearty Hydrangeas blog! I welcome your feedback.