Thursday, January 8, 2015

Happy New Year!

Technically it is still January ;).. Hope you've all had a great 2014! Mine was awesome; I had a major accomplishment professionally and I am happy about it.

Anyway, the blog has been in long hibernation. I think it is time to "wake up and warm up" :).



Last year I sewed up some interesting things that I didn't blog about.

I made a cute doll named "Rani" by drafting my own pattern!!! I had a lot of fun doing this project from scratch. I tried hand-embroidery for her facial features. I am very happy with the results! Sweet has had it for many months now and despite washing the doll stays vibrant as ever!

Rani sitting with Rosie the bunny


Sweet started ballet in Fall. I wanted to make her first leotard! I had a cute leopard print fabric from Joann's and matching FOE. 1 pack of FOE was enough for lining the neck and arm holes. I used the Jalie Gymnastics Tank Leotard and Biketard pattern and it turned out great! The pattern is so easy! I didn't follow their instructions for the elastic and did my own thing. I also sewed up a matching tulle skirt.

Sweet's hair is growing fast after the tonsure!

Sweet enjoyed this class a LOT!! She just loves all things girly and twirly :).

For Heart, I made this warm vest for Fall. The pattern is by Peek-a-boo pattern shop. It was fairly easy and I enjoyed sewing on fleece. Heart was thrilled to wear it as he is a big football fan!



And I used a tutorial from crafty gemini to sew a gray winter hat for Heart. It was a quick and easy project! I hand-sewed an orca applique that I made using black and white fleece from my stash. It was a surprise for him. I made him close his eyes when I put it on and walked him to the mirror. Heart was super happy and gave me a big hug :). I used the child size pattern for the hat which turned out to be pretty snug. Next time I'd use an adult size for him.




Last month I started crocheting and quickly got addicted to it. I went to Joann's and stocked up on 6 different colors :). There are many youtube videos which were very helpful! Here is my hubby wearing my first crochet project in his favorite color.



I also made assorted crochet flower hair clips for Sweet and another winter hat for myself (which Sweet claimed to be her own).

As New Year's gifts I made pillow cases for the kids. It was a super quick project involving a long rectangle, two side seams and top hem. I dished out 4 of them in less than an hour :).


I used another tutorial and pattern by crafty gemini to make a new quilted oven mitt for our kitchen.



Me Me Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally did some selfish sewing :).

I made this lined tote bag with 1/2 yard each of Joel dewberry fabric and a plain fabric from Hancock's. It is a simple no-frill bag with a zippered closure. I used my own measurements but followed the instructions in this tutorial. I jazzed up the handles with a pom-pom trim :).




Over the weekend I installed the walking foot on my machine! I have become a BIG FAN of this foot! It was a breeze to sew through my first knit top! I love it and so does hubby ;). The pattern is from a craftsy class I took called Sewing with Knits by Meg McElwee. It is an awesome pattern and fits me well! The fabric was from joanns. I just love the flowers against the navy blue background :).






Last year I tried a few new things like creating my own doll pattern, hand-embroidery, using lining, sewing with knits, sewing with zippers, increasing machine speed (!), sewing with spandex, using FOE etc. All of my ventures were quite successful. I hope this year I will continue to whip up some fun things! :).


I love sewing!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Hearty Hydrangeas blog! I welcome your feedback.